The best beaches on Crete
There are windy beaches for surfers, sandy bay beaches, small out of the way bays and calm inlets. Comfortable beaches with sun loungers, tavernas, cafés, beach and water sports. But they all have one thing in common, the beautiful Mediterranean sparkles blue sea under the blue sky and bright sunshine.
There is of no surprise that Crete has many clean Blue Flag beaches where issues such as water quality, litter, and environmental education are looked after to high standards, safety, and environmental issues. Below we have shared with you some of our favourite beaches of Crete. We also link some more favourite beaches here:
The Best Beaches on Crete
- Stavros beach is within a short drive from Chania town. Less than 16km, normal traffic 30 minutes drive. The film Zorba famous scene in which Anthony Quinn’s character dances the Sirtaki was shot on the beach of the village of Stavros.
- Seitan Limania (i.e Satan harbours) or Stephanou beach is located 20 km northeast of Chania town, at the east side of Akrotiri peninsula. No cafe or taverna. The road to the beach is a bit rough and steep, the path from the parking area down to the beach is even steeper. You need good shoes and practical clothing. Bring water (plenty) and snacks with you. Its a small beach and comments from 2016 and 2017 says it’s been crowded during high season.
- The magnificent but somewhat isolated Balos Beach is famous for its turquoise waters, the wild natural beauty, and the beautiful exotic scenery. During the summer, Balos is visited by thousands of people, who arrive mostly by the ferries running from Kissamos port. Balos beach located 53.5km from Chania. Will take around 80-90 minutes drive.
- Elafonisi beach has beautiful child-friendly beaches – however not the easiest to reach from Chania. The distance over 73km, 90 – 110 minutes drive. Daily boat from Paleochora and return in the summer. (Top picture)
- Falasarna beaches – less than 53km from Chania. Approximately 60 – 70 minutes drive. Falassarna bay is one of the most famous beaches in Greece, which has been awarded as the best beach of Crete and voted as one of the 10 best beaches in Europe in the past
- Preveli Beach combined a day with an early visit to the famous monastery Moni Preveli. The beach area with planted palm trees ( a fire destroyed most of the original trees a few years ago). A gorge river runs out on the sandy beach. The settings are stunning.
- The beach of Triopetra is situated approximately 50km south of the city of Rethymnon. Follow the road to the southern village of Agia Galini, through the Akoumia village and then follow the only road for about 12km to Triopetra beach. Triopetra consists of two beaches separated by three impressive rocks. The small sandy bay beach is the most eastern beach. The main beach, coarse sand, and blue water are located west of the rocks extend for several kilometers.
- Vai Beach, eastern Crete. Its main feature is the large palm forest of Theophrastus trees (Phoenix Theophrasti). The name “Vai” is another Greek name for the tree Phoenix. Vai beach is located 24km east of Sitia and about 6km from Palekastro. The route from Sitia is generally good. Drivetime two hours from Heraklion to Sitia. From Sitia to Vai another 30 minutes. Follow the road to the Monastery of Toplou and then continue for approximately 8 km until the palm forest.
You need transport to get to the best beaches on Crete